Budget: $10,000 +
Summary of the roleWe are seeking to employ a talented developer to architect and code complex and scalable web apps and websites. We want this role to progress into native mobile applications over time.
Currently we mainly use PHP and Wordpress as the foundations for our websites. However we want to move towards using Python and Django. You don’t have to know it intimately, but we would like you to be keen to learn it, explore it and deliver with it.
It would be fantastic if you have experience managing other developers to meet deadlines as well as with scoping projects.
Our web apps often connect to many APIs - any relevant experience would be a big plus.
This role will see you working as part of a small friendly team. The workload will sometimes be hectic, but the atmosphere is cheerful and proactive. We want to put you in a position to write the best code that you can to deliver the vision we have for our clients.
Extra points for user-centered thinkers who have a bit of a design eye as well.
1. Required experience:
- Delivery of large-scale websites with embedded web applications in liaison with project managers and clients
- Scoping and delegation of development tasks with clear technical specifications
- Writing feasible functional specifications for tendering and planning
- Reviewing development work with a critical eye for quality
- Management of front end developers and contracted freelancers
- Exploring and bringing new technologies to the table to keep yourself/team on the leading edge
- An intimate knowledge of PHP and MySQL
- BuddyPress installations with both ground up and modified plugins
- Semantically marked up HTML5 and CSS3
2. Big pluses for experience with:
- Working in an agency environment
- Helping hire for development roles and contracting freelancers
- Running user acceptance testing workshops
- Refining excellent user experiences
- A keen desire to steer a ‘mobile first’ approach across projects
- Working on socially motivated and ethical projects
- Django and Python
- Foundation 3 (or similar responsive experience)
- The Google Maps API
- Social Network APIs
- OpenTok API and WebRTC
- Creating your own APIs
- Ruby, C and Objective-C languages
- Localising web apps
- Creating your own CMS
3. Also useful:
- Experience training and up-skilling colleagues as part of our staff training plans
- Linux server administration / managing hosting accounts
- Ability to manage a local network on a Microsoft Small Business Server
- Experience with Podio (online project management tools that we use)
4. Pay & benefits:
- Initially for six months on a fixed term contract with a review after three months. Opportunity for role to become permanent if desired.
- Pro rata salary that is competitive and D.O.E.
- 30 days pro rata holiday entitlement per annum (including public holidays)
- Your own Mac workstation with all the software you need to get going (if you can only work on a PC we should be able to accommodate you).
5. Apply with:
- Your CV, including references
- Your availability (notice periods etc.)
- Any sample URLs that show off your code and prove you'll be able to hit the ground running
- Anything else you think would make you stand out from the crowd!
- Please don't contact us. If (one day) we need you, we'll be in touch.