Web Application Developer
Budget: $10,000 +
Discovery Education is looking for a Web Application Developer with experience creating and maintaining scalable, dynamic, high-traffic web sites. The candidate will work closely with other developers, database architect/administrators, project/product managers and QA to build a solid deliverable. He/she must be able to produce deliverables leveraging current software engineering practices with emphasize on unit testing, continuous integration and iterative development processes. He/she will be involved in full development life cycle within an Agile/Scrum environment.
WHO ARE WE? As a division of Discovery Communications (think Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, etc.), Discovery Education is the leading provider of digital education resources to our nation’s schools. We reach today’s 21st Century learners and their families with media-rich programs that engage, inspire and activate students across America.
1. Able to work on complex assignments that require knowledge of specific languages such as ColdFusion, Javscript/jQuery, Java and various open source technologies.
2. Organize and manage multiple code builds, deployments and testing scenarios such as UAT, regression, performance and scalability testing.
3. Write and execute unit test and integration test.
4. Provide support to product development teams in defining and reviewing product design, helping to determine feasibility, cost, and time requirements, and compatibility with existing systems and capabilities.
5. Able to recommend technical solution and provide detailed technical specifications.
* Proficient in graphics and multimedia tools such as Photoshop and Flash, as well as a strong understanding of CSS.
* Strong understanding of Linux and Apache configuration.
* Experienced with CI tools (Hudson or similar) as well as version-control tools such as Subversion.
* Experience with Drupal and/or PHP site development is a plus.
* Strong understanding of relational databases (SQL Server,MySQL).
* 3+ years of professional web application development experience.
* BS or MS in Computer Science, or related field.
* Self-Motivation --Reliability --Attention to detail, especially in rendering design concepts online.
* Excellent communicator --Good time management / multi-tasking skills --Good interpersonal skills.
* Ability to accurately estimate and scope development work.
We prefer at least three samples of implemented online work. Please be prepared to speak about the processes you used to develop these sites and your specific role in the development of each site. One sample should be something that you personally find interesting or elegant (for example: a clean/simple solution to a complex problem, an interesting algorithm, a nice API, etc.) and the other should be something that pushed you to your limits in some way.
This is a full-time, temporary position in our Silver Spring, MD office.
**You will not be a direct employee of Discovery Communications. All temporary positions are payrolled through a 3rd party vendor.**
**Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice. Not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. Discovery values the unique point of view each employee brings to the workplace. We strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich audiences we wish to attract and serve.**
Discovery Communications and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity Employers