Writer and Editor for High Profile Business Blog - Ongoing
Budget: $1,000 to $2,500
Looking for someone to cover breaking news, and serve as editor of other content. This is an awesome opportunity to increase your professional profile. You will get visibility and learn a lot! We pay like clockwork and the pay is competitive.
This is a highly visible ongoing role, with the opportunity to make a difference with a respected small business news blog site. The online editor writes articles on deadline, proofreads content of guest author contributions and assigns article topics to other freelance writers occasionally.
Activities and Responsibilities:
• Write Web-friendly headlines and Web friendly content.
• Create short news items (averaging 400 words each) on deadline. Must write fast and be accurate on details. Able to complete about 2 short news articles per day, M-F.
• Write the occasional longer piece (1,000+ words, once or twice per month).
• Edit lengthier ebooks created by outside writers.
• Proofread and edit own articles, and contributions by others.
• Keeps tabs on news in the small business market, and assists in news gathering and news aggregation. Able to secure additional facts and original quotes from PR reps and company officials for articles.
• Able to creatively use social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest) to amplify articles from the site.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
• At least one years’ experience blogging, with experience using WordPress.
• Has a “nose for news” – able to use search engines, RSS feeds, press releases and monitor a tips email inbox for breaking news.
• Must be available during prime working hours in the U.S., daily, M-F, to be effective at covering breaking news. This is not a role that lends itself to weekends and evenings only, or from non-U.S. time zones.
• Savvy about social media, and uses social media regularly. Builds relationships and can help circulate articles to own networks.
• Good writing, proofreading and editing skills.
• Journalism degree/experience not required, but would be helpful. This is very much about writing "news" such as product launches, acquisitions and company closures, government initiatives, new surveys, etc. We are NOT looking for how-to or tips articles, or chatty blog posts, in this role.
• No conflicts of interest - small-business market coverage must be exclusive to our site. For instance, you cannot write for our site and also re-purpose the same small-business news content elsewhere.
To apply, please submit:
- 3 samples of articles you've written.
- URLs of your social media profiles.
- Information about your background and qualifications, and confirm your availability to break news quickly during standard business hours, M-F.